Chris Elmore, MP for Ogmore, has thanked residents across the constituency for showing huge generosity towards his joint Easter Egg collection campaign for local food banks.
Due to the cost-of-living crisis many families in Ogmore are struggling. Mr Elmore is determined that every child in the constituency is able to enjoy Easter. That’s why he teamed up with Huw Irranca-Davies MS to put a call out to residents to donate Easter eggs. Within a space of a few weeks literally hundreds of Easter eggs were arriving at the constituency offices of Chris and Huw.
These eggs will be donated to Bridgend Foodbank, Llanharan Food pantry and the Gilfach Goch Foodbank.
There have also been some extraordinary individual donations which deserve a special shout-out. They include:
- Billy Davies, who lives in Pontycymmer who coordinated the donation locally for over 650 eggs;
- SONY donated £150 worth towards the collection which went towards the purchase eggs in ASDA;
- ASDA in Maesteg have also donated £50 worth of Easter Eggs that will go straight to the local foodbank;
- TESCO in Maesteg have donated 20 eggs; and
- A number of other local businesses are making donations as well.
Chris Elmore, MP for Ogmore, said:
“The kindness and generosity of Ogmore residents is nothing short of amazing. I cannot thank you all enough for your eggcellent support. By collecting this many Easter eggs we are ensuring that those that are struggling during the cost of living crisis can also enjoy the Easter weekend.
We’ve seen over the last 13 years the number of people having to use food banks rocket. This is a national scandal. Although I am always grateful to the dedicated volunteers who run Bridgend Foodbank, Llanharan Food pantry and the Gilfach Goch Foodbank it is heart-breaking that they need exist.
Whether you celebrate Easter or not, I think we can all take some joy that our community has pulled together to deliver some happiness to children who would have otherwise gone without. Thank you all so very much.”